Tuesday 1 May 2012

Otak-otak

Homemade Otak-otak baked in oven (28 Apr 2012)
I love watching a local food programme called Axian's Food Adventures where Jason or "A Xian" as he is fondly called. would take us on weekly culinary tours around Malaysian. It's not just any ordinary food show as Jason would bring us to the origins of local cuisines in small remote villages, rather than introducing some new fancy restaurant in town. The new series on air right now brings our attention to a certain type of food prepared in different ways all around the country. Which brings me to Episode 12 : Otak-otak!

Otak-otak Stick fried in Philip Airfryer (28 April 2012)

When we were dating, my hubby & I would frequent SS2 'pasar malam' (night market) every Monday evening. Without fail, we would purchase 20 sticks of otak-otak from this guy whose been selling it for umpteen years.Wonder if he's still there? Must get my hubby to relive those "pak toh" days!

Anyway, my otak-otak is slightly different from the Nyonya version, perhaps a lot less complicated as well. For those who are overseas and find it hard to find betelnuts or kaffir leaves and can only rely on ready grounded spice, then this is the recipe for you!

However, I do intend to try out the actual Nyonya version one day using fresh spices and herbs but for now, this recipe is satisfying enough :)

Otak-otak Recipe (Makes 8 square packs or 30 thin sticks)


Ingredients:
600gm spanish mackerel
2 tbsp meat curry powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp grounded chili paste (chili boh)
2 tbsp corn flour / tapioca flour
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
A few curry leave, thinly sliced
150ml fresh coconut milk


 Note: Feel free to add or reduce any of the spices to suit your palate!

Method:
  1. First, scrape of the meat of the mackerel with a spoon. Place in a large mixing bowl.
  2. Add all the spices and mix with hand. I used my handy disposable gloves to do the job. Some recipes require you to blend but I like to taste my fish meat when biting into the otak-otak. Thus, the manual version is employed :)
  3. Lastly add the coconut milk a tablespoon at a time and fold it into the paste.
  4. When done, leave in fridge for 15 minutes. I find it easier to handle cold and firm otak-otak paste.
  5. While you are waiting, cut the banana leaves to the desired shape. You could do square, long or even make cone shaped otak-otak.
  6. Whatever shape you make, ensure that the paste is wrapped snugly and firmly inside. I used satay sticks to keep the packet together. Nowadays, most sellers just use staples.
  7. Preheat your oven to 180 deg Celcius. Place the otak-otak in neat rows and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the otak-otak once in at 10 minute interval. If you use the airfryer, I suggest you bring the heat down to 160 deg Celcius for 15 minutes only.
 

2 comments:

  1. HI there,
    I'd really like to use your Otak Otak photo in our newsletter at Street Food Australia. It's a section with our staff's favourite street food recipe, and mine just happens to be Otak Otak, but I didnt take any photos of it when I was in Malaysia.
    We would of course attribute the photo to you and could also add you to our supporters links page.
    Kind Regards,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen,

      What a pleasant surprise :) Of course you may use the photo! I'll be sure to check out your Otak otak recipe when it's published.

      Best Regards,
      Shirley

      Delete