Monday 16 April 2012

Fried Glutinous Rice (Sang Chao Loh Mei Fan)

Fried Glutinous Rice (15 Apr 2012)
I hold fond memories of my late maternal grandma. I felt more than just affection and love for this wonderful elegant woman. I secretly wish I could be just like her! My grandma was the Coco Chanel of my household, ever so timeless and chic. The only difference was that my Grandma was probably a much better cook than Ms. Chanel! 

Grandma made simple delicious dishes with her perfectly manicured nails and diamond encrusted lavender jade ring on her pointer. She'd also be in her tailored silk blouse and hair coiffured like a beehive, but guess what? After all that cooking, nothing goes out of place and not a speck of oil on her! How does she do that?? I, on the other hand, look like a mess after each cooking marathon :(

Fried glutinous rice is one of granny's dishes that I thoroughly enjoy. I've even prepared this dish during my uni days for my housemates. It's a dish you could prepare in bulk and freeze it for later consumption. I like keeping the rice in little metal bowls, not unlike the ones you use to make "Loh Mai Kai" and steam the bowls until the rice is soft and moist again.

Fried Glutinous Rice Recipe 

Ingredients:
2 cups of glutinous rice, soak in water for min 3 hours
1 tbsp of dried shrimps, soaked and chopped
1 shallot, sliced finely
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Chinese sausage, diced
4 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked and diced
1 bowl of water

Seasoning:
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tbsp Shao Hsing wine
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp white pepper

Method:
  1. After soaking the glutinous rice for 3 hours, drain it well. Prepare the rest of the ingredients.
  2. Heat up 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in wok. Saute dried shrimps first until fragrant then add the shallots and garlic. After 1 minute, add the Chinese sausage and mushrooms.
  3. Pour the rice into the wok and on medium heat, keep stirfrying the rice and sprinkle water as you are doing this so that the rice does not stick to the wok.
  4. Add the seasoning and stir well. Keep sprinkling the water while you are at it. Stir fry for another 5 minutes or so. Turn off the heat.
  5. Prepare a steamer. Pour all the rice mixture into a steaming tray and steam the rice for 1 hour or until the rice turns translucent. 
  6. Ready to serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment