Sunday 4 March 2012

Yam Ring with Salted Egg Chicken

Yam Ring - first attempt (4 March 2012

I found the yam ring recipe by Amy Beh from Kuali. As this is my first time making it, I followed the recipe to the dot. My yam dough was a little softer than I would like it to be... probably because of that last teaspoon of water I added right at the end (Itchy hands!). So don't add anything unnecessary!

You can make a few of these rings ahead and keep them in the freezer for later use. Great for sprucing up your stirfries. I've prepared salted egg chicken for my centre filling (Please check out my next post for the recipe!). Traditionally, you'd have the Kung Pao Chicken or Lor Hon Chai (Mixed Vegetables).

 

Yam Ring Recipe ( Adapted from Amy Beh in KUALI)

Ingredients:
500g yam, cubed
Enough oil for deep-frying
75g tang mein fun (wheat starch)
Just enough boiling hot water

Seasoning:
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp concentrated chicken stock
1/4 tsp Chinese five spice powder
75g shortening

Method


1. Steam yam until soft and tender. 

2. Mash while still hot then mix in tang mein fun and just enough boiling water. Mix well into a dough. 

3. Add ingredients (A) and combine. Leave refridgerated for 1 hour.

4. Form the dough into a ring shape. Make a hole in a round disposable aluminium pie dish and place the ring in the dish. the dish will help you lift up the ring without breaking it.

5. Heat oil in deep fryer. Lower the dish into the oil and deep-fry until crispy and golden brown. 

6. Remove and drain well.

No comments:

Post a Comment