Thursday 15 March 2012

Pork Katsudon

Katsudon Dinner (14 March 2012)

Since we met, Katsudon has been, by far, my hubby's favourite Japanese dish, and it still is todate :) 

So why haven't I thought of recreating this dish earlier on? To tell you the truth, I was a little afraid. My hubby has this thing about rating his katsudons. How do you serve a katsudon expert when you come from a non-Japanese cooking background?

Luckily, as I started studying, Katsudon turned out to be a novice Japanese dish, which every homey housewife must know how to prepare! Plenty of recipes and tutorials online! I just needed to pop by Jusco to grab a few essential Japanese condiments & I was set to go on my Nippon adventure!

Katsudon (Sorry about the warm lighting!)

I have earlier provided the recipe for Tonkatsu which is the base of your Katsudon. So please do visit the post before you attempt the sauce!

Katsudon Recipe (For 1 bowl of rice)

Ingredient:
1 tonkatsu
1 egg, beaten
1/4 brown onions, sliced thinly
1 1/2 tsp mirin
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dashi stock / paste
1 cup of water

Sliced Japanese parsley / shallot for garnishing
1 bowl of steaming hot cooked rice

Method: 

  1. Heat up a frying pan. Add the water and dashi stock. Stir well to dissolve dashi.
  2. Add onions, soy sauce and mirin. Bring stock to boil.
  3. Pour in beaten egg around the stock. Switch off heat and cover with pan with lid for a few minutes.This will allow the egg to cook slightly. 
  4. Meanwhile, arrange your cut tonkatsu onto a bowl of steaming bowl of rice.
  5. Take the lid of your pan and stir the egg sauce slightly before pouring it over the tonkatsu. 
  6. Serve your katsudon while it's hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment