Monday 19 March 2012

Claypot Brinjal with Minced Meat

Claypot Brinjal with Minced Meat (18 Mar 2012)



Another one of my favourite vegetable is brinjal or eggplant. I like all variations of it simply because of its rich complex flavour after cooking. Brinjals can be steamed, deepfried, curried, grilled, braised, etc. Brinjals are also a good source of folic acid and potassium. So ladies, if you are planning to conceive, I recommend heaps of brinjals!

Every restaurant has a different version of this yummy claypot dish. Some prepares it spicy ala Sze Chuan style while others add salted fish to enhance the flavours of the dish. My version was created at the very last minute, about 1/2 hour before lunch to be exact! 

There were three things I took note of :-
1. I didn't want it spicy, to suite my toddler's palate
2. I didn't have Mui Heong salted fish (the top notch one of the kind salted fish...it's Mui Heong or nothing).
3. My hubby doesn't take dried shrimps. (unless it's so little that he doesn't notice it!)

With all that thought in mind, I had to improvise. To compensate the saltiness, I used some whole salted turnip (Choy Bou) which I minced and deepfried. Without dried shrimps, I used small red onions instead to give the dish a distinct taste.






Claypot Brinjal with Minced Meat Recipe

Ingredients:
2 brinjal (should give you a large soup bowl full once cut into thick chunky strips)
200gm minced pork
1 small red onion,chopped finely
1 clove of garlic,chopped finely
1 piece of Choy Bou, minced

Pork Marinade: (marinade pork 15 minutes before cooking)
1 tbsp of cornflour
1 tsp of soy sauce
A dash of pepper

Seasoning:
1 tbsp of Tau Cheong (fermented salted beans)
1 tsp of dark soy sauce
1 tsp of oyster sauce
1 tbsp Shao Hsing wine
1/2 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of chili oil (optional)


Method:
  1. First, deep fry the brinjal strips for 3 minutes or until slightly brown on the outside. Remember to fry on high heat so that the brinjals are not oily. Drain and pat with kitchen towel if necessary.
  2. Deep fry the minced Choy Bou until crispy. Take care not to burnt it. I suggest you transfer some oil from deep fryer to small pan. It's easier to control the heat.
  3. Heat up claypot and put 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. (You could fry in pan or wok)
  4. Saute garlic & small onion. Add pork and stir fry for a few minutes until almost cooked.
  5. Add brinjal and all seasoning. Add 2 tablespoons of water (more if too dry)
  6. Cover claypot for 1 minute.Garnish with Choy Bou and some chopped shallot. Ready to serve!
Another version which I prepare with dried shrimps & chili, the way it is served at a restaurant. (21 Mar 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment