Thursday 22 March 2012

Carrot Walnut Cake

Carrot Walnut Cake (21 Mar 2012)


As you know, I'm not quite a baker, hence the lack of sweets and desserts in my blog! However, since the carrot walnut cake is one of the most demanded cakes that my mum bakes, I've somehow got to give it a shot! The recipe is actually from my aunt (an absolutely multi-talented woman. Thank you, Auntie!) who is kind enough to let me post the recipe online.

This is a wonderful simple cake that you just can't have too much of. It's wholesome, healthy and great for any occasion. If you are good at cake deco (something I'm lacking of), do some fancy little carrots that I see most people put on top of the cake :)

Homey Wholesome Cake!


Carrot Walnut Cake Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cups of cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp soda bicarbonate
2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup castor sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used corn oil)
3 cups grated carrot
1 cup walnut
2 tsp vanilla essence

Cream Cheese Topping:
250gm cream cheese
113gm butter (1/2 a stick)
1 1/2 cups of icing / confectionery sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp lemon juice

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Grease a 10 inch round / square pan, whichever you fancy
  2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda bicarbonate, cinnamon powder and salt. Set aside
  3. In a mixer, cream the brown sugar, caster sugar and vegetable oil. Add the eggs one by one while mixing.
  4. When batter is creamy, add the vanilla essence.
  5. Alternately, fold in grated carrot and walnut.
  6. Pour batter into greased pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Check with a cake skewer at 40 minutes.
  7. When cake is ready, leave on wired rack to cool.
  8. To prepare the topping, cream the butter, cream cheese and icing sugar. Add in vanilla essence and lemon juice.
  9.  Spread the topping on the cooled cake. I sliced my cake into half so that I could get some of that yummy cream cheese in between :)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment