Wednesday 15 February 2012

Vietnamese Spring Roll

Vietnamese Spring Roll (Jan 2012)
I invited my parents and parents in law to my house for a Chinese New Year lunch. Having had too much too many heavy meals, I thought I'd make these fried spring rolls to complete my Vietnamese style lunch (together with my Salad Rolls & Beefball Noodle Soup). 
 

It's better to drain excess oil by standing the spring rolls like this.

The Vietnamese version varies from the Chinese version. Even in Vietnam, I was told, there are many different kinds of spring rolls. This originated from Hanoi, I believe.


Fried Spring Roll Recipe:

Ingredients:

1 pack of 15cm popiah skin / rice paper
200g minced pork
150g crab meat
1 cup of shredded carrots
1.2 cup of thinly sliced black fungus
50g of soaked rice vermicelli

Seasoning:
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp Shao Hsing wine
1 tbsp corn flour

Method:
  1. Cut the rice vermicelli into short strands.
  2. Place all ingredients and seasoning into a large bowl and mix well with your hands.
  3. Place a tablespoonful of the filling onto a piece of popiah skin. Tuck in both sides and roll into a cylinder.
  4. Heat oil over high fire and fry until springrolls turn golden brown. Dish out and strain on a strainer.
  5. Hint: Don't use kitchen towel to drain excess oil as it will only soften the spring rolls. Place the springrolls slightly tilted on the strainer. The oil will drip downwards and you've have crispy springroll even when it turns cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment