Monday 27 February 2012

Making Egg Noodles

Kampung Egg Noodle
Remember how I said I would make my own egg noodles when I blogged about Sui Kow? I've been so eager to try homemade noodles that I bought a pasta maker over the weekend! Since it costs me a fortune, I've got to make all sorts of noodles and pasta from now on. Perhaps Pan Mee next week?

Anyway, my hubby is really big fan of noodles, any sort. He's always raving about how his granny would make the most wonderful springy egg noodles using duck eggs. He described to me the whole process and with his insightful memories and my basic knowledge of flour-egg-water ratio, I attempted to make egg noodles for Sunday lunch!

It turned out, according to my hubby, almost as good as granny's! My parents in law enjoyed the noodles tremendously too. Now that I've gotten the hang of it, I'll be making noodles very often.

Egg Noodle Recipe (Recipe for 5-6 servings)

Ingredients:
500g plain wheat flour
3-4 kampung eggs / normal large eggs (ratio is 120-150g flour to one egg depending how eggy you want your noodle to be)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp water
Tapioca flour for dusting

Method:
  1. First, sieve the flour into a mixing bowl or on a flat working surface. Break egg yolk lightly into a bowl and mix without beating.
  2. Make a well in the centre of flour. Pour egg mixture into flour. Sprinkle salt around well.
  3. Start kneading. You will feel crumbs only in the beginning. Gradually sprinkle water and continue to knead until dough feels smooth and springy. Form into a ball. I've got small hands so it took me 20 minutes. You could try using a mixer if you are making more.
  4. Dust dough lightly with tapioca flour. Cut out 1cm thick of dough. Roll out using the roller function, gradually increasing from 1-6. 
  5. Boil a pot of water. When boiling, roll the flattened dough through the pasta maker using the thin strand function. Immediately drop the noodle into the boiling water. 
  6. Cook for 2 min while using a chopstick to stir the noodle around.
  7. Serve as you like. I just tossed the noodle with oyster sauce, soy sauce, cooked oil and deep fried garlic mince.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment