Thursday 9 February 2012

Beef Rendang

Beef Rendang (Nov 2011)

I have to confess... I have not given a good thought nor study the origins of Beef Rendang before I made it. It didn't matter to me because I've always cross path with it since I was a baby girl. In my toddler years, we were neighbours with Auntie Badariah & Uncle Ismail. I hold fond memories of the couple as they were not only kind and helpful, but the sight, sound and smell of their kitchen each morning truely fascinate even a 4 year old like me! Auntie Badar (as I fondly called her) made kuih-muih (Malay cakes/snacks) which she'd supply every afternoon to a nearby vendor. And every evening, she'd called out my name and pass an assortment of kuih-muih to my brother & I. There would be fresh curry puffs, kuih dadar, pulut inti, kuih keria, and my personal favourite fried popiah with homemade chili sauce!

Naturally, Auntie Badar cooks very well. I would always look forward to any kenduri (house party) held by her family. I'd make a beeline for one thing only....her beef rendang, which she would serve with lemang (bamboo rice). The taste has lingered til now..... Sounds exaggerating, eh? Well, it does and I have yet to find another beef rendang as good as hers! Thank you, Auntie Badar, for making my childhood 'flavourful'! 

So back to my recipe.... I looked up a couple of recipes and found that the basic ingredients are the similar. The taste and texture would differ if you add more or less of certain ingredients. I adapted a recipe by Rohani Jelani. Hopefully, I'll be able to join her classes one of these days! Care to join me?



Beef Rendang Recipe
Spice Paste:
3/4 cup grated coconut
15 dried chillies
10 shallots, sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 inch ginger, sliced
1 inch galangal, sliced
1 inch turmeric, sliced
2 stalks lemon grass, sliced 
2 bird chillies, optional

Cooking: 
400 gm stewing beef, sliced into chunks
1 1/4 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
1 turmeric leaf, tied into knot
2 kaffir lime leaves, torn
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1-2 pieces asam keping

Procedures

  1. Place coconut in wok over medium heat and dry-fry until golden brown. Cool slightly before grinding finely in mortar and pestle.
  2. Snip chillies into 1-inch lengths. Soak in hot water until softened. Discard half the seeds and place the chillies in electric blender jug with shallots, garlic, ginger, galangal, turmeric and lemon grass. If you want a hotter rendang, add bird chillies. Add 1/2 cup water and grind to a paste- but not too finely.
  3. Place spice paste, beef, coconut milk, and water in a roomy wok. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium heat, stirring now and then until mixture is well reduced and thick and oil surfaces—at least 1 hour.
  4. Add ground toasted coconut, turmeric leaf (if using), kaffir lime leaf, salt, sugar, and asam keping (if using). Cook another 5-10 minutes, taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary. Take pan off heat. Serve with rice.The taste is even better overnight!





No comments:

Post a Comment